After dropping the epic sound and video for "Stadium Pow Wow", A Tribe Called Red returns with "We Are the Halluci Nation", the lead single and title track from their new album.
Anticipation for the new ATCR album has been steadily building, and now we have a taste of what's to come.
"We Are the Halluci Nation" begins with a beautiful incantation by legendary poet and AIM activist John Trudell (rest in power), and builds through moody electronics that subtly interweave spoken word with the sounds of their frequent collaborators, powwow drum group Northern Voice.
It's a sonic space akin to a dream state as only the Tribe can do. An imagining of an alternate world.
"We are the tribe that they cannot see", begins Trudell. "We live on an industrial reservation. We are the Halluci Nation. We have been called the Indians. We have been called Native American. We have been called hostile. We have been called pagan. We have been called militant. We have been called many names. We are the the Halluci Nation. We are the Human Beings. The callers of names cannot see us, but we can see them...Our DNA is of earth and sky. Our DNA is of past and future. We are the Halluci Nation. We are the evolution. The continuation."
We Are the Halluci Nation features an incredible A-list of collaborators—from hip-hop artists Yasiin Bey, Saul Williams, The Narcicyst and Shad to Indigenous superstars Tanya Tagaq, Joseph Boyden, and Jen Kreisberg, to powwow drum groups Northern Voice and Black Bear —and it looks to be an epic exploration and conceptual leap forward from what they've done to date.
The song and full album tracklisting are now available on iTunes. The album will be released September 16th.
Stream "We Are the Halluci Nation" on Spotify here.
A Tribe Called Red - We Are the Halluci Nation - Full Tracklist
- We Are the Halluci Nation (feat. John Trudell & Northern Voice)
- R.E.D. (feat. Yasiin Bey, Narcy & Black Bear)
- The Virus (feat. Saul Williams & Black Bear)
- BEFORE (feat. Joseph Boyden)
- Sila (feat. Tanya Tagaq)
- The Light (feat. Lido Pimienta)
- Maima Koopi (feat. OKA & Chippewa Travellers)
- JHD (feat. Junior Ottawa)
- Eanan (feat. Maxida Marak)
- The Muse (feat. Jen Kreisberg)
- Indian City (feat. Northern Voice)
- How I Feel (feat. Leonard Sumner, Shad & Northern Voice)
- For You (feat. Lido Pimienta) [The Light, Pt. 2]
- ALie Nation (feat. John Trudell, Lido Pimienta, Tanya Tagaq & Northern Voice)
- SOON (feat. Joseph Boyden)